Friday, July 21, 2006

Writer's Block-ing

Listen:

The city sleeps with her eyes hung open like shudders on her four-star homes and doors in the shanty towns that line her undersides. Eyes of shadow well-water and of windows gaping open. The city has eyes in every corner and all are open. All.

Her lights line the abandoned streets, as if searching for something; someone. Searching, searching, like lyricists in vain through thesauruses and dictionaries and lovers’ eyes for the perfect word.

She breathes sighs of loneliness through the smoky boulevard, and the wind that escapes her cancerous lungs is grey and thick.

Each one of her nimble fingers shadows the alleyways to hide her children: the children of the city. Each child embracing their short skirts and eye makeup… only venturing from the shadows to accompany those in slowing cars: the men with rough skin and tight-knuckled lust. The love has long since been washed from their fingernails, and their faces haven’t stretched to smiles in years. They have come to get what they are looking for.

And even though I’ve been awake all night, I feel as though the city has wrapped a free leg around me and pulled me tight under her, where we could fall through dreamless slumber for days.

...and so begins my finally realized dream of a short novel. That's right. Since I half-announced my goal of publishing something before I exit my teenage years, I feel compelled to actually try. When my six-thousand page novel is not accepted by any publisher, I'll drop my head in shame and retreat to medical research.

However, I feel that editors will see my exuberant, passionate youth and look upon me with pity. "Give the kid a chance," they'll say, and they'll be so right when I'm rocketed to fame. You know what will be on the front page of every newspaper? John Sand is the new J. K. Rowling: Millions Line up for Brilliant Sequel. and then, all I'll say is "I told you so."

Actually, I'd rather be regarded as the new Fitzgerald, but I'll settle for any semi-well-known author. Let's be serious, when it comes to fame, I'm easy to please. I've been thinking of psuedonyms (not that I can spell that). J. Thomas Montgomery or something like that. <3

No comments: