Thursday, August 03, 2006

Run Away Faster Than Ever Before

Slowly, slowly, slowly… I am realizing the goals I set for myself are a little too high, and possibly impossible. Let's outline the big ones.

School: I plan on graduating in four years with a double major in Biomedical Engineering and English (apparantly the U doesn't have a creative writing program, so I might have to create it for myself), while, at the same time take the three extra classes that qualify me for pre-med. I want to learn a language, which won't possibly fit into my schedule. I would like to learn to dance (breakdance, actually, as lame as that sounds) and give real massages and cook italian and chinese and maybe take a class on giving other people something to start smiling about. Really smiling. Not for photographs.

I want to sing, and not just in my car.

Writing: I want to complete my first novel and be satisfied in a little less than 13 months. Sounds like a cakewalk, but I'm no novelist, just a perfectionist with a severe problem with procrastination. My goal was to publish before 20 and I lowered it to having a complete manuscript by twenty. How this is balancing with school? No idea.

Travel: I want to visit about 50 different countries, literally, and somehow stay in them for more than a week each (that's like a year and a half of traveling and only spending money. Among the top countries on my list: Spain, England, New Zealand, Korea, China, Japan, Costa Rica, Nicaragua.

Travel2: I want to go on a year long mission trip to a place of poverty. Peace Corps, or something along those lines. Oddly enough, I would also like to start a non-profit organization if I ever get on my feet enough to have any one of my dream houses.

Life: I want to somehow manage to own at least 3 houses. (One in Italy, Chicago, and California). I say at least, because there are about 7 different places that I want to live.

Life2: I want to find someone that I can handle who can handle me for the rest of my life. For some people, that is their ONLY goal, and they may never achieve it. Not to mention, I want two cute children. Seriously cute. I'm picky. :P

Life3: I want to speak different languages to connect with people that I meet.

Life4: I want to somehow write and save lives or make some medical discovery. Those are two very opposite goals… unless I write self-help books, but I don't consider that real writing. Real as in this-book-may-or-may-not-hold-some-universal-truth-that-isn't-just-given-to-you-outright. It is my weirdly strong belief that no one ever learned anything vital by having it told to them.

An the list literally goes on for miles. "Shoot for the moon, and even if you miss, you'll land among the stars." I hate that saying. What is among the stars? Literally empty space. Nothing.

I want the damn moon, and I won't settle.

1 comment:

angie said...

wow, quite ambitious! but you are so on your way to doing all of it.

-you know your goals. that's the hardest part!
-i've seen some of your writing. you have got that publishing gig in the bag
-singing in your car will turn into so much more once drinks on the house hits the big time
-you have determination literally dripping off your goals

the moon's yours dude.